EACH OF OUR NATURAL COLOURS IS ACHIEVED USING SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 25 AND 50 MINDFULLY SELECTED HERBS, PLANTS, FLOWERS, ROOTS AND BARKS.
NEEM (AZADIRACHTA INDICA)
In some parts of India the neem leaf and flower are considered so special that they play a role in weddings, festivals, celebrations and worship. It is often consumed in the summer months to balance the Ayurvedic dosha of pitta, and consumed with jaggery to remind of the bitter and sweet tides of life.
Nimbin, the organic chemical compound derived from the neem plant, is thought to be the producer of the anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antihistamine properties that make this plant so medicinally rich. Being widely available in India, this multipurpose plant is known affectionately as ‘the village pharmacy’.
HOLY BASIL / TULSI (OCIMUM SANCTUM)
Coined ‘The Queen of Herbs’ and hailed as an ‘elixir of life’, the power of the Holy Basil Tulsi plant – used to achieve our green natural underwear – is considered unrivalled in Ayurvedic medicine. Through countless scientific studies it has been found to work through stresses of the body in physical, metabolic, chemical, and psychological form.
The benefits discovered span from improved cognitive function and memory to balanced blood glucose and lipid levels. An anti-depressant, an organ protector, a hand sanitiser, a mosquito repellant, a treatment for snakebites…. and now an underwear colourant. It seems there is nothing the little Tulsi shrub cannot do.
TURMERIC (CURCUMA LONGA)
Everyone’s favourite curry spice, the benefits of turmeric are no longer the secret of Ayurvedic devotees. A potent antioxidant and immune booster, it has been proven to support the heart, brain, liver, nervous system, circulatory system…in fact there are very few parts of the body this root cannot care for.
You could coat your entire body in turmeric paste so that your skin inhales its benefits (as is tradition for many Indian brides) or you could just throw on one of our underwear sets.
The watery gel that seeps out of a snapped Aloe Vera leaf is 96% water, leaving just 4% to hold the magical concoction of vitamins, amino acids and enzymes that led the Egyptians to deem it the ‘plant of immortality’. According to Ayurvedic medicine, this lily family plant can be used to treat numerous health concerns from spleen disorders and asthma to skin burns and abdominal tumours.
We use aloe vera as part of our alternative to chemical bleaching, together with other natural ingredients like white rose, soap nut and sunlight. This natural whitening process takes place before colouring, ensuring the fabric used for our underwear and basics begins as a bright and pure surface without the tonal variations found in raw organic cotton.
FENUGREEK (TRIGONELLA FOENUM-GRAECUM)
Some sources claim fenugreek’s usage dates back as far as 4000 BC; found in both Indian Ayurvedic medicine and Chinese medicine, and used by the Greeks and Romans in centuries gone by. Packed with vitamins A and C, iron, copper, calcium, zinc, folic acid and more, it is used for simple healings like a sore throat or improper digestive system, as well as more complex jobs like reducing hyperglycemia in diabetics.
Brimming with power from the stems to the twigs, this ‘lucky legume’ is a bountiful addition to our natural dyes.
SAPPANWOOD (CAESALPINIA SAPPAN LINN)
Also known as East Indian Redwood or Pathimugam, the flowering sappan tree is indigenous to India, used in the southern states to purify water and prevent the spread of disease.
Praised in the Tibetan Medical Encyclopaedia and written about by many Ayurvedic scholars, it is commonly used to ease abdominal pain following childbirth, rectify blood disorders, and counterbalance damages caused by excessive intake of caffeine, alcohol and western medicine. Naturally colouring underwear is just one of sappan’s many impressive tricks.